This week I kept working on my senior project. I didn’t accomplish a whole lot however. That’s because I was writing towards the wrong thing. Instead of making something I could demo, I was stuck figuring out the exact details of my project.
In general, I’ve been struggling to make the trade-off between doing a good job and making something for people to use. In the previous weeks, I focused on making stuff that worked. While it worked the code was brittle and fragile.
I thought it wouldn’t take me very long but it not only took a long time- I realized that there was way more work to do.
The work I actually did was try to move the data from the website into a database. I hoped that it would be faster but my professor doubted it and thought it was strange that I was making a database for data that already came from a database.
The problem isn’t that it’s hard. The problem is that there are many components that make up a query. Most of my time was spent giving trivial bugs. The most interesting one was one involving course title which looked like this for some reason.
'\n Abnormal Psychology\n 'I spent 30 minutes trying to use regular expressions before I discovered .trim() which did the work for me. So that’s what they mean by
Some people, when confronted with a problem, think
“I know, I’ll use regular expressions.” Now they have two problems.
By using regular expressions, I have to learn regular expressions in addition to solving the problem I initially had.
I honestly don’t know what to do now. I have a presentation to give on the status of my project but I have nothing to demo. I’ll think of something…